The Aldwych Theatre and the Waldorf Theatre, now known as The Strand Theatre, were built as a pair on either side of the Waldorf Hotel. Designed by W.G.R. Sprague, the theatre opened on December 23 1905 with a production of Blue Bell.
In 1960, after intense speculation, it was announced that the Royal Shakespeare Company of Stratford-upon-Avon was to base its London productions in the Aldwych Theatre for the next three years. In fact they stayed for over 20 years, finally moving to the Barbican in 1982.
The theatre is currently owned by James Nederlander and is operated by Michael Codron Plays.
Transport / Accessibility
Nearest Underground: Covent Garden
Nearest Rail: Charing Cross
Bus Routes: 1, 4, 11, 13, 15, 68, 98
Wheelchair Access: Yes