Prince Edward Theatre

The Prince Edward Theatre opened on 3 April 1930 and was named after the then Prince of Wales. Designed by Edward A. Stone with interior decorations by Marc-Henri Levy and Gaston Laverdet, the theatre was built by Griggs & Son on a site which was formerly home to The Emporium, a one hundred year old draper's store patronised by royalty.

The theatre staged a number of unsuccessful shows and finally closed in January 1935. It was bought by new owners who transformed it into a cabaret restaurant. It was renamed the London Casino and opened in April 1936.

In 1940 the Blitz called a halt to all such frivolity and for two years the theatre was dark. It reopened in July 1942 as the Queensberry All-Services Club. After the war it became the London Casino once again and in 1954 was converted to a cinema, reopening as Castino Cinerama Theatre.

In 1978 it was converted back to a theatre and given its original name, reopening with the world premiere of the musical Evita. In 1990, the current owners Delfont Mackintosh Theatres spent over 3 million on a complete refurbishment which included deepening and widening the stage, improving the acoustics, remodelling and redecorating the auditorium and the addition of side boxes and exterior lighting.

Address
Prince Edward Theatre
28 Old Compton Street
London
W1D 4HS

Location map

Transport / Accessibility
Nearest Underground: Leicester Square
Nearest Rail: Charing Cross
Bus Routes: 14, 19, 38
Wheelchair Access: Yes

What's on at the Prince Edward Theatre

  • Disney's Aladdin Booking from now until 1st Jun 2019 Full details
  • Disney's Aladdin Booking from now until 1st Jun 2019 Full details