Duke of Yorks Theatre
The Duke of York's Theatre was designed and built by Walter Emden for Frank Wyatt and his wife, Violet Melnotte. It opened on 10 September 1892 and was initially called the Trafalgar Square Theatre due to its proximity to Trafalgar Square. The name was shortened to Trafalgar in 1894 and the following year became the Duke of York's to honour the future King George V.
In the late 1970s the freehold of the theatre was purchased by Capital Radio and it closed in 1979 for refurbishment, finally reopening in February 1980.
The Ambassador Theatre Group bought the theatre in 1992.
Duke of York's Theatre
104 St Martin's Lane
Transport / Accessibility
Nearest Underground: Leicester Square
Nearest Rail: Charing Cross
Bus Routes: 14, 19, 22, 24, 29, 38, 40, 176
Wheelchair Access: Yes