Founded in 1980, the Almeida Theatre in Islington is one of the newer theatres in London.
The building originally opened in 1837 as the Islington Literary & Scientific Institution, housing a lecture theatre, library, museum, reading room and a laboratory. It closed in 1872, reopening as a music hall two years later and then as a Salvation Army citadel at the turn of the century.
The theatre was conceived by Pierre Audi in 1978 when he acquired the derelict Salvation Army Hall. In 1990, Ian McDiarmid and Jonathan Kent took over the artistic direction and the Almeida became a full-time theatre for the first time.
The theatre is non-profit producing and is famous for staging its own productions of mainly high-brow plays. Its productions regularly play to packed houses and frequently transfer to the West End.
Transport / Accessibility
Nearest Underground: Angel
Nearest Rail: Highbury & Islington
Bus Routes: 4, 19, 30, 43
Wheelchair Access: Yes