The Adelphi Theatre stands on the site of the Sans Pareil theatre which opened in November 1806 before changing its name to Adelphi in 1819. By 1850 the building had fallen into disrepair and was demolished and replaced by a new theatre, the Theatre Royal, Adelphi, which opened in 1858. The name was changed to the Royal Adelphi in 1867.
After almost fifty years, the Adelphi was reconstructed to conform to changes in safety law and to accommodate increasing audience sizes. It reopened in September 1901 as The Century Theatre but reverted back to The Royal Adelphi Theatre after just 6 months.
The building that stands today was designed by architect Ernest Schaufelberg and was realised during an almost complete rebuilding of the theatre. Opened in December 1930, the Art Deco building survived the threat of demolition in the 1960s and was refurbished and restored to its former glory in 1993.
The theatre is currently owned by Really Useful Theatres in association with Nederlander International Limited.
The Adelphi Theatre
Transport / Accessibility
Nearest Underground: Charing Cross/Embankment
Nearest Rail: Charing Cross
Bus Routes: 6, 9, 11, 13, 15, 23, 77A, 176
Wheelchair Access: Yes